In 2011, The City of Ventura Environmental Sustainability Division launched the Green Business Certification program as a means to foster and support environmental sustainability in the local business community.
Becoming a Certified Green Business is FREE and currently available for local retail stores, offices, restaurants, and multi-family residential complexes. To date, there are approximately 50 local businesses in Ventura that have been certified and that number is growing every month.
“Green business is just smart business,” said Lars Davenport, City of Ventura Environmental Specialist. “The certification process is simple, and business owners are finding that it provides great benefits like attracting customers and saving money on utility bills.”
When a business becomes certified, they are listed in a searchable statewide database of green businesses. Our local businesses benefit from a $10,000/month Google AdWords grant specifically for green businesses in Ventura, which drives customers to the green business website where they can see information about local green businesses. Green businesses are also presented with a special certificate by the mayor at a City Council meeting, where the business owner gets a chance to plug his/her business.
Green businesses also have access to ongoing support from the Environmental Sustainability Division staff, which is available to answer any questions about green practices, serve as a resource on environmental legislation, green programs, networking events, and valuable rebates and incentives programs. One such incentive program is the Southern California Edison Direct Install program, which can offer up to $10,000 in lighting upgrades for free.
How the Program Works — It’s as simple as 1-2-3!
- Contact Lars at (805) 652-4595 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Lars will set up an appointment with you at your business to walk through the application process and see what environmental measures you already have in place. This on-site evaluation can take as little as 45 minutes depending on the complexity of your business.
- You will register your business online at org. Sign up in the appropriate sector — office/retail, restaurant, or multi-family dwelling and be sure to select Ventura as your city to be directed to the proper checklist. Fill out the checklist to the best of your ability.
- Once you have completed all of the required measures on the checklist, you will be certified! Your business will be listed in the database at greenbusinessca.org, you will receive a Green Business sticker to display in your place of business and a Green Business logo for your website.
- The Environmental Sustainability Division works with all green businesses to get them featured and promoted in a variety of City media. This includes shooting promotional videos, being included in social media campaigns, and much more.
What happens in an on-site evaluation?
- The areas that will be discussed include: Waste Reduction (purchasing practices, employing the 3 R’s (reduce, reuse, recycle), Energy Conservation (efficient lighting, appliances, habits), Water Conservation (indoor and outdoor), Pollution Prevention (sustainable cleaning products, ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, etc.), Wastewater Management (preventing runoff, trash receptacles, etc.)
- Hazardous Waste Disposal methods (information to be provided)
- Helpful collateral materials will be provided (posters, recycle bins, sustainability kits, etc.)
- Information on current legislation and sustainable partnerships benefiting your business will be discussed
- Lars will explain the ins and outs of training your staff and educating your clientele (if applicable)
“Research shows that in today’s world, customers seek out green businesses and look to purchase sustainable products. Going green can also have tremendous cost savings when it comes to utility bills, and in other areas. Choosing environmentally responsible business practices just makes sense. It will be a win-win for all involved — your business, your customers, and the future of our planet.”
If you are interested in becoming a City of Ventura Certified Green Business, contact: Lars Davenport: (805) 652-4595 or email@example.com