City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQG’s) are encouraged to visit the monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly — and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) Over 200,000 lbs. of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as used or contaminated motor oil and gasoline, pesticides and fertilizers, paints, thinners and lacquer, pool supplies, batteries (automotive and household), non-mind altering drugs, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs (CFL’s), cosmetics (nail polishes, removers, etc.) and many others. Remember, these items pose a serious threat to human, plant and animal life, and are illegal to place in the trash.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month. There is no collection event in December.
2011 Collection Event Dates
- January 15
- February 19
- March 19
- April 16
- May 21
- June 18
- July 16
- August 20
- September 17
- October 15
- November 19
- NO event in December
For more information and to make an appointment for an event, call Environmental Sustainability Monday through Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (805) 652-4525.
2012 Collection Event Dates
- January 21
- February 18
- March 17
- April 21
- May 19
- June 16
- July 21
- August 18
- September 15
- October 20
- November 17
- NO event in December
- Appointments are Required. Please call 652-4525. (Monday through Thursdays)
- Appointment times for the event are from 9:00 to 11:45 a.m. and 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. at 15 minute intervals.
- HHW Collection Events are for City of Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check this County of Ventura link to find the information on an event in your community.
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit
Do certain items need special handling?
YES! Items that call for special handling include:
- Asbestos: MUST be wetted and double-bagged. Asbestos pipe must be in sections that are no larger than 2 feet in length, also wetted and double-bagged.
- Medical Sharps: MUST be in an APPROVED SHARPS CONTAINER or in puncture-resistant and lead-resistant receptacles. SHARPS in paper and/or plastic bags are UNACCEPTABLE. FREE SHARPS containers and disposal locations in Ventura include:
Ventura Public Health, 3147 Loma Vista Road, 652-5928
West Ventura Family Care Clinic, 133 W. Santa Clara Street, 641-5600
Click here for additional information about SHARPS mailing services
Are there certain items that are NOT Accepted? YES!
Items NOT accepted at HHW Collection Events include:
- Medical Waste
- Ammunition & Firearms (may be taken UNLOADED to the front counter at the Police Dept)
- Gun Powder & Fireworks (are collected by the Bomb Squad, c/o Ventura County Sheriff’s Dept.)
- Radioactive Waste
- Smoke Detectors
- Compressed Gas Cylinders (small barbecue or camp stove propane ok)